Difference bike trainer and dynamometer
In a bicycle trainer, the rear tire is fixed in the bicycle trainer, this is not the case with a roller bench where the bicycle is free. The advantage of a dynamometer is that the cyclist is completely free and therefore really feels like he is cycling. It should also be noted that you can steer on a dynamometer, so you have more energy to correct and to keep a balance. Roll banks are therefore more suitable for advanced cyclists. A bicycle trainer can be used by everyone.
How does a cycling trainer work?
As indicated earlier, the rear tire is fixed at the bicycle trainer. With some cycling trainers it is possible to set the resistance. With other cycle trainers the resistance level is built in, for example by means of a magnetic brake.
Extra options with a bike trainer
The following options can be supplied or are included as standard with the more expensive cycle trainers:
- Bicycle computer with heart rate monitor
- A cycling program
- Driving with opponents
- Calibration function
- Display of speed and cadence
- Power and energy consumption
- Wind power and wind direction
- Download the training data to a PC
- Software for PC and software so that the bike trainer can be connected to the TV